Sunday, July 8, 2012

Flowers that Fade


Some time ago I stopped at my local grocery store to buy a bottle of carrot juice before work. Upon entering there was a large display of flowers. I’m not the greatest flower enthusiast, but the colors and the fragrances were so wonderful, they captured my attention. I picked out the most colorful bunch, purchased a small vase, grabbed a bottle of carrot juice :) , and headed to work.

I set up my exquisite floral purchase on my desk next to the monitor and was amazed at how much they brightened up my oatmeal colored office. They brightened my entire day. During each trial of my work day, I looked at those lively radiant flowers and had to acknowledge the power of God. God does so well at overtaking me with an abundance of joy with just small wonders of blessings. Those flowers reminded me that God is in control and nothing is too hard for Him. 

Since that day, I stop by the grocery every week to pick out new flowers, because of course, flowers don’t live forever.

When my first little bunch of purple and pink flowers started to die, I was a little heartbroken. It was one of those things where you knew it was going to happen, but that didn’t mean you were willing to accept it. I’m sure most of you know where I’m coming from. So anyway, they drooped and wilted a good bit before I threw them away. Then the following morning I purchased more, different kinds with a different fragrance.

And knowing those flowers would fade away, I committed to enjoy them every hour of my day.

As I grow older and go through my own process of fading, I’m learning more how crucial it is to commit to enjoy life. I look in the mirror and realize that like the fading flower, my life is not forever. No need to be sad over this because I am a believer in Jesus Christ, been buried in His name by water baptism, and have His Spirit inside of me. Therefore, I know that I have eternal life. But even before that life begins, I must die.

I thought counting down the days to our wedding would make the time towards the date slower, but it is indeed coming quickly. Some weeks I lose track of the days because of times speedy pace. When I think of all the days I sorrowed in my wait to find my husband, I have some regret. Why didn’t I commit to enjoy those days, like my fading flowers? Why didn’t I appreciate the one of a kind beauty and sweet fragrances those days possessed for me? I had my good days, yes. But, was there more “good” there that I missed because I chose worry above joy. Now, those days are gone.

I pray to be strengthened in God that I may hold time dear to my heart. Time is precious. The flower is promised only a short life and it seems that ours fade just as quickly. I am not promised tomorrow. I have to hold on to everything that is precious to me now. I have to tell my family that I love them now. I have to forgive the ones who hurt me now. I have to choose joy and peace over sorrow and frustration now. I have to worship God and serve Him only…now. It may be too late tomorrow. Time will not wait for me. The future will come when it’s ready and the past will not welcome me back again. I must enjoy, appreciate, believe, love, cherish, be patient, hold on, let go, do whatever I got to do in the will of God, now.

Every day possesses a radiant beauty that is unlike any other day. It doesn’t matter what our struggles and problems are. They don’t change the beauty of God’s creation and the fact that life is a gift. There are opportunities to seize that may not come again. I pray to not be wasteful of the days and not hesitant to do what is right. I am only thirty-six years old today. But as my days begin to wilt and fade I want to say that I loved the best that I could and that I enjoyed the gift of life that God gave to me with wisdom and understanding.

He cometh forth like a flower, and is cut down: he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not. Job 14:2

P.S. - And let this be a lesson to all you beautiful single women out there that...
...it is perfectly okay to buy your own flowers. ;)

Candra Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment